How To Stop Paying Alimony in Florida

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

The divorce is final…the judge signed the decree.  Either you have a marital settlement agreement or a final decree, the terms of which were decided by the judge.  If you are court ordered to pay alimony to your former spouse, there are several ways you can get out of this obligation, but you will have to let a reasonable amount of time pass first.

To modify a court order, there must be a substantial, material change of circumstances since the date the judge signed the order.  Below is a list of such examples that warrant a modification of your alimony obligation:

1.  Your former spouse got married.

2.  Your former spouse is in a supportive relationship, being financially supported by another.

3.  You have lost your job.

4.  Your spouse won the lottery, inherited a bundle or otherwise came into a windfall.

5.  You have a severe pay cut.

6.  If you run your own business, you are out of business, or your business is failing.

7.  You got sick or injured and can’t work.

8.  Your former spouse is earning money now and wasn’t at the time of final judgment.

There are other situations warranting the termination or modification of your alimony obligation.  Each case is different, so consult a divorce lawyer at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 for more information or click on the Firm’s web site at