If Your Marriage Is On The Rocks, PROTECT YOURSELF!

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

Clients come in for a consultation for information.  They either are thinking about getting out of a bad marriage or relationship, or their spouse has mentioned something about a split.  I often get the question, how do I protect myself?

The first easy piece of advice is PHOTOGRAPH EVERYTHING.  That includes the cars, the boat, the grand piano, grandmother’s sterling silver, jewelry, antiques, paintings, and collections such as wine, coins, stamps, even the big screen.

The second easy piece of advice is PHOTOCOPY EVERYTHING.  The wine lists, coin and stamp logs, mortgages, car titles, deeds, corporate documents, bank statements, credit card bills,  income statements, tax returns, pay stubs, investment accounts, whatever you can get your hands on.

Drop the cartons of pics and copies off to your lawyer.  Don’t leave them in the trunk of you car!

Lastly, don’t leave car keys, wedding rings and other small valuables lying around the house.  They have a tendency to be “stolen”.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com for more information.


Keep Divorce Decree With Important Papers

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

There are many instances in life where we have to be prepared to provide important documents like tax returns, proof of income,  health history, credit scores and the like, for purposes of applications for various things we may need.  One of those important documents is your final judgment of divorce.

Your divorce decree may be required for the following:

1.  Transfer of retirement plans from your ex to you.

2.   Purchase of a new car.

3.  Purchase of a new home.

4  Changing your name on driver’s license and passport.

5. Changing your name on bank accounts.

6.  Application for life insurance.

7.  Transfer of real property.

8.   Change of beneficiary.

9.  Modification of alimony or child support.

10.  Valuation of antiques, artwork etc.

11.  Loan applications.

So keep your divorce decree in a safe and accessible place, because chances are you are going to need it.  You may even need a copy of your divorce decree to be certified as true and correct by the court.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.

Legal documents and divorce.

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

Patience, patience, patience is required to fill out or gather all the forms and documents necessary to comply with the Florida family law rules of court.  The following documents are necessary evils and you should be prepared to cooperate with your attorney and comply by producing the needed information.  If you do not comply, opposing counsel will most definitely file a motion to compel you to produce and unless you file and WIN a motion for protective order, you will also be taxed with your spouse’s attorneys fees!

So be ready to produce the following:

1.  Financial affidavit   2. answers to opposing party interrogatories and requests for production   3.  personal and corporate tax returns  4. credit card statements  5. bank account statements  6. mortgages, deeds and any other title instruments    7. stock and bond account statements  8. retirement account statements   9. pay stubs  or any other evidence of ANY income   10.  loan applications   11.  insurance policies  12. health insurance cards  13. pre nuptial or post nuptial agreements  14.  Court orders from previous marriages .

Divorce is paper intensive.  At my law firm, our paralegals are highly trained to assist clients to carefully produce evidence.  For more information about this divorce topic or other subjects, click on the Robin Roshkind, P.A. website at www.familylawwpb.com or consult with one of the attorneys at the Firm by calling for an appointment at 561-835-9091.