Can You Get Divorced Without Property Settlement?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

Yes, in Palm Beach County, Florida you can get your divorce and then settle the property, asssets and debts later.  It is called BIFURCATION.  Your lawyer can “bifurcate” the case, meaning do the divorce first and later on do the division of assets and debts, or property and liabilities.

This is accomplished by a motion to the court with a specific legal reason to get the divorce over with quickly.  Either you want to remarry in a hurry, or you have children that you do not want to be used as pawns in a property settlement.  There could also be mental health issues to quickly bifurcate a case, or  there is a dying witness who needs to testify in the matter.

For more information about this or other divorce topics call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at