Use A Shrink To Tell Your Spouse You Want A Divorce

by Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

In the state of Florida, you do not need “permission” from your spouse to be granted a divorce, even if your spouse does not want the divorce.  What you will need, however, is a way to express to your spouse that the marriage is over and you want out.

I often recommend to clients in my practice, to engage the help of a professional for this purpose of telling your spouse you want a divorce.  First, many couples are already seeing a marriage counselor or therapist.  It is easier to come to the divorce conclusion if you are already discussing your relationship with this counselor.  Using a therapist or marriage counselor or even clergy or other professional at the time, is helpful.  Inform your spouse of your final decision and discuss it right then and there with a third party present.

On the other end of the spectrum is simply to move out of the marital home the same day you have your spouse served with divorce papers.   If there is a history of domestic violence in the home, this is the way to go.  Do not be around, when your spouse gets those divorce papers.

In the middle ground, is to use a therapist to negotiate the divorce process.  Sometimes therapists and marriage counselors can keep the divorce amicable, thus avoiding nasty litigation and all that goes along with that.  I highly recommend bringing therapists into the divorce process to keep the peace.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at for more information.