by Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
When you finally come to the conclusion that your marriage is all but over, it is time to invest in a photo copying machine. You are going to need it for your own protection. You will have to start photocopying everything you can get your hands on from mortgage payments to tax returns. Here is a beginner’s list:
1. ANY evidence of income of either party from whatever source.
2. Title documents for cars, boats, jewelry purchases, artwork, real estate.
3. Insurance documents of any kind, including health, life, homeowners, additional riders.
4. Bank account statements from whatever source (banks, brokerage firms, lenders)
5. Retirement account statements.
6. Social security or other benefit payouts including stock options.
7. A list of what each party came into the marriage with.
8. A list of what each party inherited during the marriage.
And this is just for starters. In any divorce action, you and your spouse will need to fill out a financial affidavit and produce mandatory disclosure documents to back up your claims. You may want to find a couple of empty cartons to put all this paper into and deliver it immediately to your divorce lawyer’s office, before your spouse steals it out of the trunk of your car. Yes, divorce is a nasty business. For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com for more information.