What Happens If You Reconcile After Signing A Marital Settlement Agreement?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

You have filed for divorce.  You and your spouse both have hired divorce lawyers.  You have produced documents.  You have gone to mediation and settled your divorce case.  Both of you have signed the marital settlement agreement dividing up the property and debt.  What happens if you both want to reconcile and stay married?

You can abate the proceedings, meaning putting the case on hold for a short time certain.   You can totally dismiss your divorce case, as if it never existed.  BUT the terms of the marital settlement agreement stay in place and are enforceable in court under contract.

We divorce lawyers sometimes use this as a tactic for a spouse who is controlled by the other spouse through money.  In this way, the assets and debts are divided, and alimony support is in place.  If you choose to stay married and reconcile, the “have not” spouse now has.

For more information about this or other divorce tactics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.


Preparing your divorce case.

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

If you are going through a divorce, the most important thing you can do is to cooperate with your divorce lawyer.  He or she has done this before, even if you have not.  Or maybe you have gone through this process before.  It is important to find a divorce lawyer you are comfortable with and then to follow his or her advice.

Discuss the issues of your case with your attorney.   If it is a divorce involving mostly financial issues, prepare the documents you will need to present as evidence.  If there is an issue of relocating with minor children, document the relationship of the other parent by keeping a calendar.  Take photos of the prospective schools in the new location, housing, the neighborhood.  If there is marital property to be divided, take photos or get appraisals.   There is much you can do as a party to a divorce that will save time, preserve evidence and set up your case.

Of course, it is recommended that you clear everything with your attorney first, and follow directives.  For more information about preparing your divorce case or other divorce proceedings, click on the Robin Roshkind, P.A. website at www.familylawwpb.com or call for a consultation appointment with one of the attorneys at the Firm at 561-835-9091.