By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
Divorce is tragic enough because it is the result of a failed marriage where two people once saw a future together. But when there are children involved, it makes divorce much more difficult. Adjustments to family life and single life are harder. There are more issues to consider. Emotions run high.
Below is a check list of things to consider if you are divorcing with children in the picture:
1. Finances and child support…household budgets.
2. Time sharing allocations to Husband and Wife.
3. Logistics as to time sharing with reference to travel expenses, children’s clothes, air fares, gas, long car rides, a safe car; who will pick up, who will drop off, when and where.
4. Health of the child: prescription medications, food alergies, sports injuries, emergency care. Following directions to administer medicine as needed.
5. Health insurance for children must be provided by the parent most able to do so.
6. Education of the children…where will they go to school; private or public school and religious training.
7. Extracurricular activities of the children…who will pay for uniforms, equipment, and travel.
8. Unfit parent issues like drug abuse, alcoholism, irresponsibility.
9. Parental alienation issues where one parent disparages the other causing the children to react negatively to that parent.
10. Outside relationships and children…kids going through a divorce should not be exposed to a boyfriend or girlfriend of a parent too soon in the process, as it confuses children and causes feelings of disloyalty to parents and guilt.
This list could go on and on. Sometimes if children are having difficulty adjusting, they need to seek counseling. One parent may approve, and the other may not, in which case you need court intervention. With so much to consider when there are children and divorcing parents, it is best to seek the advice of your divorce lawyer, because each case is different…each family’s needs are different.
If you are thinking about divorcing in Palm Beach County and you have children, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.