Time to Divorce is After the Holidays

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, FL

Some folks still do it the old fashioned way…that is, staying together for the sake of the kids.  With the holidays having come and now gone, those who were unhappy, fighting, and miserable, during the holidays, and staying together just for the kids…now is the time to divorce!

Get your act together.  Find out about the family finances.  Get copies of those bank statements and credit card bills from 2014 and bring them in to see me.  The time is now.  By the end of January, it becomes tax preparation time.  You will have to gather financial information anyhow, so your spouse will not suspect you are preparing for divorce.  Keep it quiet until you get all your ducks in a row.  Preparing for a divorce is like being a private eye.  You need to set up before you do anything.

For advice on what will be needed or what your rights are, call or come in for a consultation.  You don’t have to take it anymore.  The holidays are over and it’s time to move forward.  See our web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com or call today for more information 561-835-9091.

Working the System! Motion for Continuance

Working the System! Motion for Continuance.

Working The System! Child Support.

by Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

There are so many ways to “work the system”.  As they come across my desk from real live clients, I will share them with you.    One client who is separated asked me if she needs to get divorced in order to get child support.  The answer is no.

She could go ahead and file for divorce to have a case pending,  She would have to go through mediation, get an agreed order on child support, and then drop the ball and let the rest of the case just “sit there”.   Or, if she and her husband could not agree at a mediation setting, she could go to court for temporary relief, get an order of support and then just delay or ignore the rest of the divorce.  If the husband does not press the issue, the case could linger for months, or be eventually dismissed by the court’s own motion for lack of prosecution.

The same applies for alimony, although you can request alimony from the court without a dissolution proceeding.   An alimony seeking wife or husband would have to petition the court for alimony without dissolution.  There is such a law in Florida.  So if couples choose to stay married but live separate lives, there is a law in our state for spousal support without divorce.

There are many ways to “work the system”.  For more information call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www,familylawwpb.com.

The Many Faces of Cheaters

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

You caught your husband/wife cheating.  Now what?  You have two options.  Leave or stay.I hate to boil it down to such a simplistic statement because I recognize the frustration, confrontation, anger, disappointment, hurt, fear and even sometimes violence that results. The emotions of being betrayed are intense and heart wrenching.  What follows discovery of the cheating is either an admission of guilt or denial of same; then there is the blame game.  Or making light of a serious situation. Or remorse and apologies followed by useless promises.  No matter how you look at it, cheating causes marital trouble.

But here’s the big punch:  I am not just talking about cheating as being extra marital sex, adultery, affairs, or romances.  In addition to sex cheating, I am also talking about financial cheating; food cheating; chores cheating; gambling cheating; emotional cheating; alcohol or drugs cheating.  Think about it for a minute.  Some marriages have more than one!

These many faces of cheating can have serious and disastrous effects on a marriage.  Things like financial ruin,broken trust, abandonment, domestic violence.

If you find yourself to be the victim of a cheater, like I said before, you can either leave or stay.  If you stay, hope for change.  If you leave, your life is then under your control.

For more information about divorce in Palm Beach County, call one of the divorce lawyers at Robin Roshkind, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.