By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
Although I am a divorce lawyer in Palm Beach County, Florida, I often think I could have been a therapist. In dealing with legal issues of divorce matters, I often counsel my clients to help them to feel better about their decision , because divorce is not easy under the best of circumstances.
If you think you are being abused in your marriage, your recourse is 1) to get counseling to fix the problem, or 2) get out before the situation escalates. Here are some tips to determine whether or not you should file for divorce immediately:
1. If your spouse isolates you from friends and family.
2. If your spouse is verbally demeaning, puts you down in front of people (even your children), ridicules you, constantly critisizes at every turn, you can never do anything right, bullies you, or purposely embarrases you.
3. If your spouse blames everyone (mostly you) for all of his/her bad fortune. It’s never his/her fault.
4. If your spouse is jealous of you, what you do, who you are with, your time away from him/her.
5. If you have a parent/child or master/servant relationship and you are the child or servant, you are being abused.
6. If your spouse threatens you with leaving, hurting you or your children, cutting you off financially, or uses fear to control you, time to flee.
7. If your spouse is an addict of any kind, i.e. illegal or prescription drugs, alcoholic, sex, shopping, gambling, internet surfing, or any other addiction, it is at YOUR expense emotionally.
8. If you catch your spouse cheating on you or spying on you.
9. Of course physical violence is the holy grail of abusers. Get out while you still can before anyone gets hurt.
For more information about divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.