What Happens If You Disobey Court Orders.


Hot Topics in Divorce Blog

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

When a final judgment of divorce is signed by the judge and entered by the court on the record,  it is an enforceable court order.  If you and your spouse signed a marital settlement agreement, it is attached and becomes part of the final judgment.

Final judgments of divorce do the following:

Transfer property, divide bank accounts, order one or the other spouse to pay certain bills, award household furnishings, artwork and the like;  orders provide child support, alimony, tax benefits, attorneys fees.

So what happens if one or the other spouse does not do what he/she is supposed to do under the directive of the court order?  The innocent spouse has to take an affirmative step in the court system to file a motion to enforce the court order, or a motion for contempt of court.

These motions result in a…

View original post 146 more words


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s