Working The System! Child Support.

by Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

There are so many ways to “work the system”.  As they come across my desk from real live clients, I will share them with you.    One client who is separated asked me if she needs to get divorced in order to get child support.  The answer is no.

She could go ahead and file for divorce to have a case pending,  She would have to go through mediation, get an agreed order on child support, and then drop the ball and let the rest of the case just “sit there”.   Or, if she and her husband could not agree at a mediation setting, she could go to court for temporary relief, get an order of support and then just delay or ignore the rest of the divorce.  If the husband does not press the issue, the case could linger for months, or be eventually dismissed by the court’s own motion for lack of prosecution.

The same applies for alimony, although you can request alimony from the court without a dissolution proceeding.   An alimony seeking wife or husband would have to petition the court for alimony without dissolution.  There is such a law in Florida.  So if couples choose to stay married but live separate lives, there is a law in our state for spousal support without divorce.

There are many ways to “work the system”.  For more information call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s