Divorce Now, Settle Later…It is possible!

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

In Palm Beach County divorce cases, it is possible to file for and get a divorce decree, and then to settle all the property issues at another and later time.  This is done by a divorce lawyer by filing a motion to bifurcate the case and the court subsequently entering an order approving a bifurcation.

Why would someone want to divorce now and settle up later?  One reason would be to not have other divorce issues be held hostage by the divorce itself.  For example, if a party is going for full custody of a child, by bifurcating the matter to settle the custody issue first, the other party cannot “trade” custody for some other marital asset.  Another reason to bifurcate and get the divorce first, is to remarry.  If there is a baby on the way, for example, a party may want to be free to remarry before the birth.  Since division of assets and debts may take some time in litigation, and with evidence needed, at least the divorce is granted so the party is free to remarry.  

For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com for more information.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s