By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
There are as many reasons to get married as to stay married. But if you are married to a cheater, and you know it, and can prove it, here is why you stay:
1. You are afraid. You are afraid to upset the apple cart. You don’t know what will happen if you blow the whistle and confront your spouse with your knowledge of the truth. You don’t know what the reaction will be. You don’t know if he/she is in love, or if this is just a passing affair. And, you are afraid to find out.
2. You are in denial. You don’t want to admit to yourself that your husband/wife is cheating on you. You will feel like a failure; you will feel inadequate. Worst of all, you will feel like it is all your fault. So you would rather pretend to yourself that the affair does not exist.
3. You have hope. You think if you stay long enough, hang in there and look the other way, the affair will just burn itself out and he/she will return to the marriage as if it all never happened. You have too much hope. You are being unrealistic and fooling yourself.
4. You are too proud. You can’t admit to yourself or others that this could happen to you.
5. You are stuck. Stuck in a rut and don’t want change. Change takes guts, effort and affirmative action. We all hate change.
6. You think you deserve pain. Pain can be either physical or emotional or both. A professional therapist or mental health counselor can help you examine why you think you deserve pain in your life.
Until you have had enough, you will stay and exercise your right to any or all of the above. When you have had enough, you will consult a divorce lawyer about your rights and protection. For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com for more information.