Can Husband Force Wife To Change Her Name In Divorce Court?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

In divorce proceedings, one of the things the wife can elect to do without agreement of the husband, is to change her name back to her maiden or former name.  Under normal circumstances, name changes require a petition for name change to be filed with the court.  But in divorce proceedings, a name change can be part of the final judgment of divorce without paying any extra filing fees to do so.

Some women keep their married names because that is the names of their children.  Other women don’t want to be bothered to change the names on their drivers license, credit cards, bank accounts, insurance documents and such.  That can be a tedious process.  Other ex wives can’t wait to get rid of the name along with the husband.  Still others, who have famous husbands want to keep that allure. 

Changing your name in divorce proceedings is a personal preference and choice OF THE WIFE.  Unless your husband offers you a lot of money as an incentive, so he can have another one and only Mrs. Soandso.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at


One thought on “Can Husband Force Wife To Change Her Name In Divorce Court?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s