I Filed For Divorce In Anger…Can I Change My Mind?

by Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

When people are having marital problems and stress, they lash out in anger and sometimes do things without thinking it through.  Such was the case of a husband who had just had it with his wife’s spending habits.  He broke down and filed for divorce.  The significant thing about that was the filing date is generally thought of as a cut off date for marital debt.  In other words, anything the wife spent after the date of filing for divorce, would ultimately remain her debt.

The problem was that this Husband had buyer’s remorse.  After filing for divorce, he realized he still loved his wife and was sorry he reacted so extremely.  Now he wanted to stop the divorce process and get his shopaholic wife some counseling.

This can be done in two ways: either a voluntary dismissal of the entire divorce case, or an abatement for three months, to give the parties time to either reconcile, or go to marriage counseling to determine if they will go forward with the divorce or dismiss it.

The moral of the story is, yes, you can stop a divorce if you want to, but you run the risk of the other party taking up the divorce and running with it.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s