What If You Want To Reconcile During Divorce?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

If you are in divorce proceedings, and you want to reconcile, or you change your mind, in order to stop the process, your spouse has to be on the same page as you are.  If you filed a petition for dissolution, you can do a voluntary dismissal.  However, if your spouse has filed an answer and a counter petition, he/she also has to do a voluntary dismissal to stop the divorce proceedings in court.

Reconciliation is possible at any step in the process.  Let’s say you have already signed a marital settlement agreement.  The agreement is valid, the rights and obligations need to be adhered to, but a divorce does not have to be sought.  Just divide up the property and debts, and continue with the marriage.  Or modify the agreement to something else, given your new situation.

The point is, that in reconciliation, it has to be done by both of you.  If one person wants to continue through to divorce, reconciliation is not possible.  Counseling and therapy are good ways to ascertain whether you and your spouse are in agreement concerning reconciliation.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s