By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
After your divorce papers are signed by the judge, whether by trial or marital settlement agreement, there are several loose ends that may be relevant in your case and need to be addressed by the parties. The following is a checklist, but remember, they might not all apply in your divorce case:
1. Testamentary documents such as wills, trusts, need to be updated and beneficiaries changed.
2. Beneficiaries on life insurance policies, bank accounts, stock accounts, health savings accounts.
3. Retirement accounts like IRAs and 401Ks may be rolling over in part to your spouse as part of the deal and require the execution of documents.
4. Quit claim deeds need to be signed, notarized and recorded if property is changing hands as part of the divorce settlement.
5. Refinance documents may need to be executed at the bank to remove one spouse’s name from the mortgage on the marital home
6. Utilities accounts like telephone and electricity need to be changed into the name of the person keeping the home.
7. If the wife is restoring her name, she needs a certified copy of the divorce decree to change her bank accounts, driver’s license, passport and other documents.
8. Don’t forget to change your facebook page to single status.
If you are getting divorced in Palm Beach County, Florida, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, PA at 561 835 9091 for more information or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com.