Sharing Children On Special Dates

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

I often get a divorcing parent crying on the phone due to the time sharing arrangement.  How do you cut a child in half on his/her birthday?  How do you share Christmas Day with a child of divorce? 

Mother’s Day and Father’s Day or a parent’s birthday are clearer.  Obviously and Mother gets Mother’s Day and the father gets Father’s Day.  But I have known some spiteful divorced parents who interfere when it is clearly wrong It is the child/ren who suffers.  Less obvious is the child’s birthday and things like Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Halloween, July 4th and other holidays that may be important to a parent.

The Palm Beach County Courts now have a parenting plan where parents can decide and agree  in advance as to important time sharing dates.   Some times families split the day with one taking Christmas Eve and the other taking Christmas Day, or Thanksgiving Day one parent takes the early afternoon and the other takes the evening. 

This gets extremely complicated where parents live far apart.  Usually they alternate years.  In even years, Dad has Thanksgiving Holiday, and in odd years Mom has Thanksgiving Holiday, and so on.  If the parents cannot agree, the judge will decide what is in the best interests of the child.

If you are getting divorced in Palm Beach County and need assistance, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561 835 9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at for more information.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s