By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
Many couples ask the question,’ Where do I live while this divorce is pending?’ There are as many different answers as there are marriages.
Many of my clients choose to live under the same roof as the spouse they are divorcing, but in different parts of the marital home, obviously in seperate bedrooms. That is only workable if the divorce is somewhat amicable and no history of domestic violence.
For everyone else, here are some suggestions:
1. If you have rental property, one of you relocate to your owned rental.
2. If you have relatives nearby, perhaps you can take up a room with them temporarily.
3. Close friends or business associates may give you a room in their homes.
4. Rent an apartment or condo short term, but don’t spend beyond your means.
5. Stay on your boat.
6. A nearby hotel will do if all else fails.
Remember that after the divorce you are going to need to settle in somewhere acceptable so your children can feel comfortable when you have time sharing. If you are getting divorced in Palm Beach County, Florida, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.