What To Do If Your Spouse Cuts You Off

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

If your spouse is the major breadwinner of the family, and you are going through a divorce, you run the risk of your spouse simply stopping the payment of household or other bills and cutting you off.  You may not have electricity, telephone, pool service, or  mortgage payments made if your spouse was normally paying these bills during the intact marriage.   What should you do to protect yourself?

The best advice is to stash cash during the marriage so you build up a separate nest egg for emergencies.  Going through a divorce and being cut off financially is one such emergency.   If that was not done or not possible, then you need to tap any line of credit you have to sustain yourself and the family until you can get into court.  Getting into court means filing a divorce action, attempting a mediation and then going to a temporary relief hearing for temporary support and attorneys fees.

In the meanwhile, try to get credit cards in your name only, cell phone in your name only, a post office box to receive your personal mail and mail from your attorney without interference from your spouse, put utility bills in your name only, and try to sustain the status quo until your court date.

If you are thinking about getting divorced in Palm Beach County, Florida and need more information about your specific case, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com .


One thought on “What To Do If Your Spouse Cuts You Off

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s