A Florida Resident Who Got Divorced Elsewhere…

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

A mom and her children have relocated to the State of Florida from New York, after getting divorced in New York City last year.  Now she learns that her former husband has come into millions of dollars from an inheritence.  She wants more child support.  What should she do?

The first step is to domesticate that New York divorce decree in Florida making it a Florida decree.  She can do that because she is a Florida resident for more than 6 months and the children live here too.  After the Florida court approves the domestication of this foreign judgment, the next step would be to file a Petition for Modification of Child Support and Time Sharing.   She needs to adjust the time sharing for the Former Husband, because she now lives with the children far away.  He will have make up time sharing in the summer months. 

When a parent moves away, time sharing and child support usually have to be adjusted by virtue of agreement of the parties or by court order.  If you are moving with children to or from Palm Beach County, Florida, call for a discussion of your rights and options.  One of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. would be happy to assist, or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com for more information.


One thought on “A Florida Resident Who Got Divorced Elsewhere…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s