By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
You have made the decision to divorce. What happens next? There are certain steps you may want to take in preparation for a divorce. Below is a check list:
1. Know the family finances.
2. Photocopy and photograph everything.
3. Have a friend, neighbor, relative or attorney store your papers, premarital possessions, jewelry.
4. Get your own cell phone.
5. Hide the car keys, boat keys, airplane keys, keys to your office.
6. Get a post office box or use a friend, neighbor, relative , your place of business or attorney to receive all your mail.
7. Get your own computer account.
8. Change passwords.
9. Set up credit cards in your name only.
10. If you have extra cash, pay off marital debt.
11. Sign a lease or purchase another home if you are the one moving out.
12. Don’t sign anything your spouse puts in front of you including tax returns without your lawyers or accountants seeing it.
13. Hire an attorney before you do anything on this list because every case is different.
For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.