How Do I Pay For My Divorce?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

I go over this question every time I have a divorce consultation.  After I go through the facts of the marriage and discuss the various options and outcomes that can be anticipated, I always get two questions from clients:  How much is my divorce going to cost?  and How do I pay for my divorce?

As far as cost of the divorce, I usually give a range of attorneys fees and costs according to different scenarios, one being a quick settlement, another, settlement in the normal course, or the last option, trial.   As to how to pay for it, here are some ways clients pay for their divorce:

1.  Pay from savings, checking or investment accounts.

2.  Pay from income.

3.  Put the attorneys fees and costs on a credit card.

4.  Borrow from family members or friends.

5.  Get a loan or cash advance.

6.  Sell separate property such as pre marital jewelry, real estate, vehicles, heirlooms etc. 

If I am representing the “have not” spouse, I can go into court for a court award of attorneys fees and costs from the “have” spouse, in a temporary relief hearing.  However, the client has to have enough funds on account with the Firm  to pay for these services.  That is why married couples should always have either some funds stashed away for private use, or support from family and friends until I can get this accomplished.  For a complete discussion on this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s