What Do You Do If You Have A Special Needs Child?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

Going through a divorce or becoming a single parent is an emotional challenge even if the divorce is amicable and you have a normal child.

But in cases where there is a child with special needs, the task is compounded.  With mentally or physically handicapped children, whether ADHD, bipolar, Down syndrome or autism, the guilt of divorce is not the only challenge…the child does not understand, the medical bills are piling up and the visits for therapy are exhausting.

Under these circumstances, you may not choose to divorce, it may choose you.  If your spouse wants a divorce, you will have to defend  yourself and your children.  The job of the courts is to protect children and serve their best interests.  If that means getting more than the standard child support, Florida law provides for such a situation.  For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.


2 thoughts on “What Do You Do If You Have A Special Needs Child?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s