What Happens If You Don’t Show Up For A Deposition?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

If you are a party to a Florida divorce action, (a spouse), a family member, friend or a witness, or even an expert, you may be requested by notice, subpoena, or court order to attend a deposition.  This is where the opposing counsel or the other party gets to ask questions or see documents to obtain information that may or may not be helpful or relevant to their case.  Information obtained through depositions are evidentiary and can be used at trial or at hearings.

If you do not cooperate by showing up at the appointed time and place, the party calling for your deposition can then set a hearing before a judge asking for a court order to have you to pay for everyone else’s time, including the court reporter who was there to take down your words for a transcript.

You may also be found in contempt of court, if your deposition was set by court order.   So think twice about not showing up for your deposition or producing documents, if requested.  For more information about trial procedures, discovery or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at http://www.familylawwpb.com.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s