Can You Postpone a Divorce Proceeding?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

If one spouse wants a divorce in Palm Beach County, Florida, and meets the six month residency requirements, and declares the marriage is irretrievably broken, a divorce will be granted.  That is, if the proceedings go forward all the way to conclusion.

There is a way to put off a divorce, pending a reconciliation or a reconciliation attempt.  That is by Motion to Abate the Proceedings.

Essentially, you are asking the judge to stop the divorce from going forward to 1) give the parties time to go to marriage counseling, 2) give the parties time to get their lives back on track whether it be for school or a job, 3) or generally give the parties time to negotiate a settlement.

Abatement of divorce proceedings is a temporary measure and usually does not last longer than 60 to 90 days unless warranted.   For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the divorce lawyers at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s