By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
There are certain things to do if you are planning to file for divorce. Below is a suggested list of how to prepare:
1. Organize your financial papers and photocopy everything.
2. Bring them to your divorce lawyer so they are out of the house.
3. Remove small items that are important to you like jewelry.
4. Make a plan for the children.
5. Discuss service of papers with your spouse or if that is not possible arrange to be out of the house when he/she is served.
6. Photograph paintings, antiques, piano or other home furnishings of value. Deliver the photos to your divorce lawyer for safekeeping.
7. Arrange for a post office box or a friend to receive your confidential mail.
8. Set up a separate bank account.
9. Get a credit card in your own name if you don’t already have one.
10. Get support from friends and family, or see a therapist. It will make the process easier.
For more information about this or other divorce topics, consult with one of the attorneys at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com.