Spouse wants a divorce…you think marriage can be saved. What to do?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

You spouse has started divorce proceedings.  You do not want a divorce, and think that the marriage can be saved.  What should you do?

One of the requirements of a divorce here in the state of Florida, is that the marriage be declared irretrievably broken by the spouse petitioning the court for the divorce.  If the responding spouse does not agree that the marriage is broken, he or she can file a motion to abate divorce proceedings pending reconciliation or marriage counseling.    It may or may not be granted by the court but at least it is worth a try. 

If the abatement is granted, this gives the couple time to patch things up and go to marriage counseling.  The court usually does not allow more than 3 months abatement unless the parties agree to it. 

If a reconciliation is achieved and the parties then wish to stay married, the petitioner must file a notice of voluntary dismissal of the divorce case. 

For more information about this or other divorce topics, call one of the attorneys at ROBIN ROSHKIND, P.A. at 561-835-9091 or click on the Firm’s web site at www.familylawwpb.com.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s