Changing your name, legally.

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida

It is possible to get a divorce and for a woman, have your premarital name restored.  You have to plead it in your divorce petition and you have to request it of the judge at final hearing.  If y ou do, there is no extra cost in legal fees, other than as part of the divorce action.

But there are other reasons you may have to changing your name later on.  Some men, too, also wish to change a name.   Often it is a parent who wishes to change the name of a child.

In all the instances above, it is possible to get a legal name change PROVIDED the change is not for fraudulent purpose.   The action will require a Petition for Name Change, and the Petitioner will have to stand before a judge and explain the exact reason for the name change.   The Petitioner will also have to declare the name change is not for fraudulent purpose, and may have to answer several other questions posed by the judge. 

For more information about this subject please click on the Robin  Roshkind, P.A. website at www.familylawwpb or consult with one of the attorneys at the Firm by calling for an appointment at 561-835-9091.


One thought on “Changing your name, legally.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s