By Robin Roshkind, Esquire, West Palm Beach, Florida
With the dawning of a new year, many of you who are recently divorced are going through the beginning stages as a single or as a single parent. Once the judge’s gavel comes down on the divorce decree, you turn the page to a new life. However, there are certain things you must address to get a fresh start. The following is your checklist:
1. If you are female and getting your former name back legally in the divorce proceedings, you need to take certified copies of your divorce decree to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Also, don’t forget about your passport, credit card accounts, and social security. Change your name on bank accounts, IRAs, 401Ks, insurance policies, security accounts, leases, and any other legal documents that identify you.
2. For husbands as well as wives, do a new will and change the beneficiary from your spouse to your children.
3. Same with insurance policies and benefiaries, and trust documents. You don’t want your spouse to be the trustee any longer.
4. Make necessary changes to the title of your vehicle, boat, real estate deeds.
5. Don’t forget those frequent flier accounts. They are worth something.
For more information, click on the Robin Roshkind, P.A. website at www.familylawwpb.com or consult with one of the attorneys at the Firm by calling 561-835-9091.