By Robin Roshkind, Esquire – West Palm Beach, Florida
In my last article, I gave readers a check list of many things to consider when comtemplating a divorce or when going through the process. Now, here is my check list of mistakes that could cost you bigtime, with reasons that are obvious:
- Never flaunt a lover or new relationship.
- Never profess happiness even if you are.
- Don’t use the children as messengers.
- Don’t use the children as pawns.
- Don’t disparage the spouse to the children.
- Don’t take the children outside of the jurisdiction without knowledge and permission of the spouse, or without a court order.
- Don’t make the children your parent or give them the role of your new spouse.
- Don’t hire a combative lawyer unless you really, really need that.
- Don’t listen to well meaning family and friends. They don’t know the law.
- Don’t sign anything without counsel.
- Don’t have sex with your ex.
- Don’t make side agreements outside of legal documents.
- Don’t try to win your spouse back. He or she will just abuse the situation some more.
- Don’t ignore tax ramifications of settlement terms.
- Don’t go in to a mediation or trial unprepared.
- Don’t put off the inevitable. This just gives your spouse more time to 1) run up bills, 2) hide money, 3) leave the country.
When divorcing, DO prepare for your future.
For more information about divorce and the process, please call my law firm, Robin Roshkind, P.A., for a consultation (561-835-9091) or view the firm’s website at www.familylawwpb.com. Serving husbands, wives and children of Palm Beach County, Florida.