What is a post-nuptial agreement and why do you need one?

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire – West Palm Beach, Florida

With all the second and third marriages taking place, most couples appreciate the need for parameters that lay out the foundation of divorce should a marriage fail.  Where prenuptial agreements set forth those terms, post-nuptial agreements serve a different purpose.  Post-nuptial agreements are signed AFTER the marriage takes place.  It may even be years after the wedding day.

Perhaps the most important reason to have a post-nuptial agreement in place is for the husband and wife to reaffirm the prenuptial agreement.  This adds an extra layer of protection, should one or the other spouse challenge the validity of the prenuptial agreement years later. 

Secondly, a post-nuptial agreement can change what the prenuptial agreement says, either by being more or less generous to a spouse or by redirectgin assets to children.  These agreements also deal with present day changes in the marriage.  For example, if a spouse gets caught cheating, a post-nuptial agreement can lay forth what financial “punishment” will take place if the spouse gets caught a second time. 

The obvious problem with post-nuptial agreements is getting the already married spouse to sign them.  It would have to be something both husband and wife want to do to keep the marriage in tact.  Both parties should seek independent legal advice before signing anything.

I practice family law in Palm Beach County, Florida.  For more information about these agreements, please call my law firm, Robin Roshkind, P.A., for a consultation (561-835-9091) or visit the firm’s website at www.familylawwpb.com.

The importance of having a prenuptial agreement prior to the wedding

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire – West Palm Beach, Florida

Many people do not like to think of the “legalities of love”, because it seems unromantic and offensive.  But for those couples getting married a second or third time, prenuptial agreements are a must, if either or both parties have assets and/or children.  Prenuptial agreements do not take effect until the walk down the aisle.  But they must be negotiated, witnessed, and executed, AT LEAST 30 DAYS PRIOR to the wedding to be valid and enforceable.  Each party must sign the prenuptial agreement with full understanding of its ramifications, without duress, over reaching or fraud, and with the intent to be bound.  It is a good idea for both parties to have independent legal counsel as well as tax advice.

Prenuptial agreements deal with what happens to the parties, their property and children’s assets in the event of a divorce, as well as a death.  Property and cash awards can be based upon the length of and contribution to the marriage, while death provisions MUST be accompanied by estate planning documents, the least being a will or a trust. 

Because each case is different, it is important to know what you are doing when you sign a prenuptial agreement.  For more information about my firm and about prenuptial agreements, please call my law firm, Robin Roshkind, P.A., for a consultation (561-835-9091) or visit the firm’s website at www.familylawwpb.com.

How to get a divorce even when you can’t sell the marital home…

By Robin Roshkind, Esquire – West Palm Beach, Florida

The real estate market in Palm Beach County doesn’t exist anymore, unless you’re buying multi million dollar mansions on the island of Palm Beach.  (One just set a record in April 2008 for $81 million.)  So when divorce just doesn’t seem to force a sale, what are your options, OTHER THAN staying in a loveless, sexless marriage?  You have several.  The newest method is called a “short sale”, courtesy of your mortgage lender.

Short sales occur when you find a buyer willing to buy your marital home, BUT the offering price is less than the mortgage.  By way of illustration, if a marital home is listed for sale at $350,000 and the outstanding mortgage is $325,000 and a buyer makes an offer of $300,000, you normally will have a shortfall of $25,000 if you take the deal.   Prior to this terrible real estate market, you would have had to decline the offer or suffer the consequences of still being on the line for the deficit.  In today’s economy, the deal would be acceptable by certain lenders as a short sale.  These lenders would rather “forgive” the shortfall than take the house back on a foreclosure action.  This methodology allows you to unload the marital home and get your divorce without the severe consequences of a foreclosure on your credit history.

When it comes to short sales, remember to check with your lender first before accepting a contract for sale and purchase.  Consult with your tax advisor, too, because there could be tax ramifications to any transaction such as this.   

The second way to unload the marital home in order to get a divorce, is to give it to your spouse in the divorce action.  By refinancing, your spouse can buy you out of your interest.  Your spouse keeps the marital home and you keep the dollar equivalent of your legal interest in the home.  This method only works, though, if the home is worth more than the current mortgage.  In other words, there has to be equity in the home.

The third way to deal with the marital home is not to deal with it at this time.  You could allow your spouse to stay in the marital home and maintain it until such time as the real estate market improves.  You can still get your divorce today, but you will go from tenants by the entireties to tenants in common with your spouse.  In other words, you become real estate partners in the investment–that being the marital home.  A current, enforceable marital settlement agreement can stipulate that at a time certain into the future, you and your spouse will again meet to decide when and what to do with the marital home.  This method allows you to protect your investment until the real estate market turns around – which it will, we just don’t know when.

Conclusion:  You are not stuck with the marital home anymore than you are stuck in a bad marriage.  Take some affirmative steps to get on with your life. 

For additional information, please call my law firm, Robin Roshkind, P.A., for a consultation (561-835-9091) or visit the firm’s website at www.familylawwpb.com.